Hip pain is a common complaint during pregnancy. The extra weight of your growing belly puts added pressure on your hips, leading to pain and discomfort.
There are several things you can do to relieve hip pain during pregnancy. The most common treatments include:
Over-the-counter pain relievers: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can help relieve hip pain.
Heat or ice: Applying heat or ice to the affected area can also help reduce pain and inflammation.
Comfortable shoes: Wear shoes that provide support and cushioning can help to remove the strain off your hips.
Sleeping on your side instead of on your back can be helpful. Gently stretching and massaging the muscles around the hips can also provide relief.
If you are still experiencing pain despite these self-care measures, talk to your healthcare provider about other options, such as physical therapy or acupuncture.
Hip pain and pregnancy
Pregnancy is a really exciting time in every women’s life, but it can also be difficult on top of everything else. The most common pain location for hip discomfort is the side or backside area near pelvic girdle muscles.
This can be a sharp pain for some, while others only experience a dull ache. This can make it difficult to carry on with normal activities or even sleep comfortably at night.
Read to learn more about how to deal with and prevent hip discomfort during pregnancy.
Causes of hip pain during pregnancy:
Numerous things can cause hip pain during pregnancy. The most common culprits are:-
- Poor posture: As your baby bump grows, it becomes more difficult to maintain good posture. This can lead to pain in the hips and lower back.
- Extra weight: The extra weight of your growing baby and uterus puts added pressure on your hips.
- Hormonal changes: The pregnancy hormone relaxin loosens the ligaments in your pelvis to prepare for childbirth. This can cause instability in the joints and lead to pain.
- Muscle separation: As your stomach grows, the muscles in your abdomen stretch and separate. This can lead to pain in the hips.
- Sleeping position: The way you sleep can also contribute to hip pain. If you sleep on your back, your baby’s weight can compress the nerves and blood vessels in your back and cause pain.
You can also read: Prenatal Massage Techniques for Relieving Pregnancy Pains?
How to prevent hip pain in pregnancy?
There are several things you can do to prevent hip pain during pregnancy.
- Sustain Good Posture: As your baby bump grows, maintaining good posture becomes more important. This will help to prevent your hips from becoming misaligned and causing pain.
- Use a Pregnancy Pillow: A pregnancy pillow can help to support your hips and keep them aligned while you sleep.
- Stretch and Exercise: Stretching and doing exercises that strengthen the muscles around your hips can help to prevent pain.
- Wear flat and comfortable shoes: Wearing high heels during pregnancy can put extra strain on your hips and cause pain. It is best to stick to flat, comfortable shoes.
How massage therapy will help you?
Massage therapy can help to relieve hip pain during pregnancy. This can provide relief from pain and help you to sleep better. Massage therapy can also help to improve circulation and reduce swelling.
At kaizen, our Registered Massage Therapists Mississauga team is specially trained in techniques that can help alleviate pain and discomfort during pregnancy. Our services are designed to help our clients achieve their optimal health and wellness goals.
We offer Swedish massage, which is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes to promote relaxation. We also offer deep tissue massage, which can help to release tight muscles and ease the pain.
If you are experiencing hip pain during pregnancy, we can help. Contact us today to book an appointment.
When to meet the massage therapist?
During pregnancy, massage therapy can be good for the expectant mother. You should see a massage therapist at least once a month or more frequently if you are dealing with a lot of stress or pain. Many people find that getting regular massages helps to improve their overall sense of well-being.
At kaizen, our team of experts will give you the best advice on how often to come in for a massage and make a proper timing schedule for you. Our main focus is your comfort and satisfaction. We will also let you know if there are any specific times during your pregnancy when massage may not be recommended.
What are the benefits of massage therapy during pregnancy?
Massage therapy can offer many benefits during pregnancy, including relief from pain, improved circulation, and reduced swelling.
How can I ease hip pain in pregnancy?
You can do several things to ease hip pain during pregnancy, including maintaining good posture, using a pregnancy pillow, stretching, and exercising regularly. Wearing flat or comfortable shoes can also help.
Why cannot I sleep on my right side when pregnant?
Sleeping on your right side during pregnancy can compress the nerves and blood vessels in your back and cause pain. It is best to sleep on your left side to avoid this.
How many hours should a pregnant woman sleep?
Pregnant women should aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
Can I use a heating pad for hip pain during pregnancy?
You should avoid using a heating pad during pregnancy as it can cause your skin to overheat. If you are in pain, try using a cold pack instead.